The Open Group has recently released a draft version of a SOA ontology. They have been developing a formal ontology for SOA for some time now. You can find the ontology described in OWL-DL also. This should give the ontology a more complete level of description.
Open Group explains the benefits as:
1. It defines the concepts, terminology and semantics of SOA in both business and technical
terms, in order to:
- Create a foundation for further work in domain-specific areas,
- Enable communications between business and technical people,
- Enhance the understanding of SOA concepts in the business and technical
- Provide a means to state problems and opportunities clearly and unambiguously
to promote mutual understanding.
2. It potentially contributes to model-driven SOA implementation. The ontology is designed for use by:
- Business people, to give them a deeper understanding of SOA, and its use in the
- Architects, as metadata for architectural artifacts; and
- Architecture methodologists, as a component of SOA metamodels.
The full draft can be found here:
Tags: Enterprise Architecture