Robotics is starting to emerge everywhere. From hotel greeters to professional cooks. Entire industries are ripe for disruption with these new robotic capabilities. Not even the local mall cop is immune.
In my travels I’ve ran across numerous startups and large corporations that are heavily investing in robotics from a physical security perspective.
Here are a few examples :
- Yelp’s Security Guard, Cobalt – https://www.wired.com/story/i-spent-the-night-with-yelps-robot-security-guard-cobalt/
- Gamma 2 Robotics – https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/gamma-2-robotics
- Robotic Security Systems mobile security robot called SAM (stands for Secure, Autonomous, and Mobile) – http://www.robotsecuritysystems.com/
- Rapyuta Robotics – https://www.rapyuta-robotics.com/
- Aptonomy – http://www.aptonomy.com/
- Knightscope – https://www.knightscope.com/
- Otsaw Digital – http://www.otsaw.com/
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, a security guard’s job is to “guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft or violence. There are 1.1 million people employed in this capacity throughout the United States. That’s a significant impact.
This type of role is ripe for automation by autonomous robots. However, there are still a lot of kinks to work out as well…
But nonetheless this is a technology we must keenly watch as it is rapidly maturing.